A new BASIS charter school is set to open in Louisiana in the fall of 2018, via a first-of-its-kind partnership with the East Baton Rouge School District and Woman’s Hospital.
“The East Baton Rouge Parish school system is pleased to welcome the BASIS Curriculum network to the community with a new K-12 campus in the southern part of the parish,” East Baton Rouge Superintendent Warren Drake said. “This new school is an example of how the East Baton Rouge Parish school system and business can partner to provide additional opportunities for our students. We are excited for the future.”
Dr. Craig Barrett, chairman of the board of BBR Schools, Inc., the charter-holder for BASIS Baton Rouge, said that “BASIS is excited about bringing its world-leading academic program to Louisiana. We appreciate the support of our local partners and the enthusiasm of our future students.” Dr. Barrett, the former CEO of Intel Corp., has been board chairman in the network’s home state of Arizona for seven years.
BASIS Baton Rouge will open to about 450 students in grades K-5 for the 2018-19 academic year. With enough community interest, 6th graders may also be enrolled next fall, before eventually serving K-12 students. The ground-up campus will be constructed near Woman’s Hospital in the East Baton Rouge Parish, at the intersection of Stumberg Lane and Airline Highway.
“BASIS Baton Rouge will be the 25th charter school in the BASIS Curriculum Schools network, which now has a total of 31 schools in six states, the District of Columbia, and China,” said BASIS.ed CEO Peter Bezanson. “We know our high-achieving, academically accelerated BASIS Curriculum will offer students in this vibrant community an additional high quality choice, and one that is tuition-free.”
Evelyn Ware-Jackson, President of the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board, said she was proud to help forge the partnership. “The BASIS Curriculum is innovation at its best. It’s an historic partnership for all parties involved,” she said. “Woman’s Hospital helped me deliver all three of our daughters. I’m very pleased to have helped deliver BASIS for East Baton Rouge kids and Woman’s Hospital.”
“The network of BASIS charter schools is the kind of high-quality public school option that Baton Rouge families crave,” said Liz Smith, a member of the BBR Schools Board of Directors. “Its reputation and the outstanding academic performance it will provide make it clear that Baton Rouge is a place that recognizes and values excellent education.”
BASIS Baton Rouge is hosting two Information Sessions for interested families in the coming weeks. To RSVP, please visit BASISBatonRouge.org.
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
100 Woman’s Way
Baton Rouge, LA 70817
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Bluebonnet Regional Branch Library
9200 Bluebonnet Boulevard, Room #2
Baton Rouge, LA 70810
Latest posts by Team Vectors (see all)
- New Ranking Methodology? Same A+ Result for BASIS Charter Schools in 2019 Rankings U.S. News & World Report veers from “College Readiness” as a prime factor and ranks six times the number of schools – but BASIS Charters still dominate - April 30, 2019
- Soon Serving Students in Nation Number Four - October 22, 2018
- ICYMI: Vital Links You May Have Missed Arizona Chamber Foundation Profiles BASIS; Prescott’s 4th Grade Researchers; BASIS Is Big Data; Our Co-Founders Open Up - June 7, 2018
- ‘A Lesson In Learning’ CBS News doesn't overbid as it profiles BASIS Independent Silicon Valley - June 2, 2018
- BREAKING NEWS: Break Out the Broom BASIS Curriculum Schools Sweep Top Five Spots in the 2018 U.S. News & World Report Rankings - May 11, 2018
- Backing up BASIS Curriculum Schools Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane Appreciates the Network, and What It Does For Students - May 11, 2018
- BASIS Heads of School react to the Astounding U.S. News & World Report Rankings - May 11, 2018
- We Do Data EdTech Magazine Looks at Schools and Districts Using High Tech Info Gathering To Deliver for Students - April 13, 2018
- B-I Takes a Look at BINS A Unique Profile of a Unique Campus in California - March 19, 2018
- Real News about BASIS Charter Schools - March 12, 2018