Jay Mathews is a veteran Washington Post education reporter who has been assessing American schools for more than two decades. He is education journalism’s foremost expert on education, and the thoughtful, hard-truth-seeking brain behind the revered rankings lists that the Post publishes every spring (and which have seven BASIS Curriculum Schools on this year’s two main lists, America’s Most Challenging High Schools, and the Public Elites.).
This week, Mathews’ column is something we thought you’d like to see. While Mathews knows much about our network of BASIS Curriculum Schools, and has written about us before, today’s column presents the kind of straightforward explanation of what our network does that is very rare to find in modern journalism.
The title of this Vectors piece, above, is a line from Mathews’ column – a line that we know is true, but rarely acknowledge out loud, since we’re usually rather busily focused on educating students and sharpening our laser-focused BASIS Curriculum.
But it’s a sentence and sentiment about which we’re extremely proud – not just today, but every day. We hope you enjoy the piece; you can find it here.
Full story at The Washington Post
- BASIS Charter Schools Reach New Heights in the 2020 U.S. News & World Report Rankings While the 2020 rankings methodology still veers from schools with our network's 'college readiness' goal, nine of our campuses are still ranked in the nation's 99.6th percentile and 5 are in the top 25 STEM schools nationally! - April 23, 2020
- Making Education Better Via a Blockbuster New Partnership The Better Education Company, from the co-founders of BASIS Charter Schools, will help students nationwide - February 27, 2020
- New Ranking Methodology? Same A+ Result for BASIS Charter Schools in 2019 Rankings U.S. News & World Report veers from “College Readiness” as a prime factor and ranks six times the number of schools – but BASIS Charters still dominate - April 30, 2019
- Soon Serving Students in Nation Number Four - October 22, 2018
- ICYMI: Vital Links You May Have Missed Arizona Chamber Foundation Profiles BASIS; Prescott’s 4th Grade Researchers; BASIS Is Big Data; Our Co-Founders Open Up - June 7, 2018
- ‘A Lesson In Learning’ CBS News doesn't overbid as it profiles BASIS Independent Silicon Valley - June 2, 2018
- BREAKING NEWS: Break Out the Broom BASIS Curriculum Schools Sweep Top Five Spots in the 2018 U.S. News & World Report Rankings - May 11, 2018
- Backing up BASIS Curriculum Schools Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane Appreciates the Network, and What It Does For Students - May 11, 2018
- BASIS Heads of School react to the Astounding U.S. News & World Report Rankings - May 11, 2018
- We Do Data EdTech Magazine Looks at Schools and Districts Using High Tech Info Gathering To Deliver for Students - April 13, 2018