Here at Vectors, as spring approaches, we’re hoping to post more of the artwork that students produce at the 26 BASIS Curriculum Schools in our network. We see some of that work when we walk the halls on our various campuses, and we know that there’s quite a bit of impressive visual poetry coming from our vibrant art classes.
We are grateful to BASIS Tucson North art teacher Porter McDonald and HOPS Alex Keichner for letting us know about the a project which they’re calling “Stairs of Life.”
Here’s what they sent us, explaining the project.
The “Stairs of Life” photography mural was part of a public art unit within the photography class at BASIS Tucson North, for 8th through 12th graders. Prior to the project, students and administrators agreed that our school needed more color and artwork on the walls, and we also wanted to support the five pillars of our school: Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Community, and Honesty (“REACH”).
In a multiday, collaborative effort, students decided to visualize the concept by showing life size portraits of BASIS Tucson North students.
At the bottom of the stairs we see a 5th grader.
Moving up the stairs into the light of a large window, the shade of blue gets darker and the subjects in the portraits get older.
At the very top of the stairs, (and at the bottom of the gallery in this article, below), we see a BASIS Tucson North alum.
Each student is looking up toward their future, except for the alum, who is kindly looking down ready to help the next generation.
One note from the Vectors Team – the students are all a year older now than in the description above! Their current ages are listed in the captions, below.
Thanks to Porter, Alex, and the photography students at BASIS Tucson North… plus the portrait subjects below!
Latest posts by Team Vectors (see all)
- New Ranking Methodology? Same A+ Result for BASIS Charter Schools in 2019 Rankings U.S. News & World Report veers from “College Readiness” as a prime factor and ranks six times the number of schools – but BASIS Charters still dominate - April 30, 2019
- Soon Serving Students in Nation Number Four - October 22, 2018
- ICYMI: Vital Links You May Have Missed Arizona Chamber Foundation Profiles BASIS; Prescott’s 4th Grade Researchers; BASIS Is Big Data; Our Co-Founders Open Up - June 7, 2018
- ‘A Lesson In Learning’ CBS News doesn't overbid as it profiles BASIS Independent Silicon Valley - June 2, 2018
- BREAKING NEWS: Break Out the Broom BASIS Curriculum Schools Sweep Top Five Spots in the 2018 U.S. News & World Report Rankings - May 11, 2018
- Backing up BASIS Curriculum Schools Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane Appreciates the Network, and What It Does For Students - May 11, 2018
- BASIS Heads of School react to the Astounding U.S. News & World Report Rankings - May 11, 2018
- We Do Data EdTech Magazine Looks at Schools and Districts Using High Tech Info Gathering To Deliver for Students - April 13, 2018
- B-I Takes a Look at BINS A Unique Profile of a Unique Campus in California - March 19, 2018
- Real News about BASIS Charter Schools - March 12, 2018