The Vectors Team recently received this video, which was posted on the website of the magazine The Atlantic. The article is part of the venerable, 159-year-old publication’s series called “The Big Question” – and the prodigious interrogatory in this piece is “What can people do to get better at learning?”
In the humble opinion of Team Vectors, that’s a truly fine large query, contemporary Atlantic editors! (Note: The Atlantic‘s founders included Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and Oliver Wendell Holmes. Good questions are in its DNA!)
It’s a very short video – less than three minutes long – and, though it was posted about a year ago, you’ll quickly understand why we think it’s still well worth looking at, and why it speaks to us at Vectors, and the entire BASIS.ed network.
Indeed, the video says a few things we’ve been saying for many years; things we know very well:
- Learning isn’t easy.
- Asking questions is encouraged, and always, always, always okay.
- Making mistakes is a part of learning.
- Building confidence is vital.
Incidentally, among those speaking in the video is Amanda Ripley, the journalist for Time and The Atlantic who often focuses on education – and who is the author of one of the Vectors Team’s favorite books – “The Smartest Kids In The World: And How They Got That Way”. Ripley’s best-seller (published in 2013, and as a paperback in 2014) is a unique first-person look at how we educate our children in the U.S., and worldwide – the similarities, the differences, and which ones are significant. The book includes a mention of BASIS.ed schools – but that’s not why we like it. It’s truly a page-turner, a fantastic read, like a lot of the best contemporary non-fiction.
Enjoy – and, as ever, please let us know what you think!
Latest posts by Vectors Team (see all)
- “There is nothing else quite like BASIS in the country today.” - May 19, 2017
- Business Insider and The 74 Trumpet the BASIS Curriculum Schools Network - May 19, 2017
- There’s Room Aboard the Data Bandwagon Voice of America's Piece on Empowering Schools - April 7, 2017
- HuffPo, the NY Post, & Debunking Education Myths - March 7, 2017
- Stairs of Life at BASIS Tucson North - March 3, 2017
- Video: The Lessons of Global Benchmarking Teachers & Teaching Matters – A Lot - December 22, 2016
- 2017 Founders’ Prize for Senior Project Excellence: Newer! Bigger! Better! - December 11, 2016
- Getting Comfortable With The Struggle A Video about Becoming a Better Learner - October 20, 2016
- What Does ‘October’ Mean To You? Let Us Know in Words or Pictures - September 4, 2016